[nfbcs] Java Certification

William Griffiths William.Griffiths at srs.ks.gov
Fri Dec 23 14:36:44 UTC 2011

My experiences are probably dated at this point, but when I took the Java Programmer Certification exam 8 years ago, it was mostly text-based.  I was granted double time to take it.  Since then I've also taken and passed the A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications from CompTIA.  For these exams I was given a monitor/reader in the room that assisted with the more visually-oriented questions and tasks (like dragging/dropping).  These exams were administered through Prometrics, which did not provide many options at all-either extra time and/or a monitor/reader.  The option of using a screen reader seemed completely alien to them.  If I had requested assistive technology be installed on the testing PC, there was no guarantee it would function effectively; if it didn't, I would lose the money I paid to take the exam, so I went with the safer option. I would hope things have improved since then although as with content in Flash and HTML-based content employing AJAX, accessibility is often an afterthought, and it is often very difficult to test the accessibility of the exams beforehand.

I would be interested in hearing about the experiences of others taking Microsoft certification exams.

Bill

Dr. William J. Griffiths
Assistive Technology/Information Accessibility Consultant
Office of Human Resources - Dept. of Administration
915 SW Harrison
Topeka, KS  66612

Phone: (785)-296-4206
E-mail:William.Griffiths at srs.ks.gov

This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and contain information intended for the specified individual(s) only. This information is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, copying or the taking of any action based on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message