[nfbcs] A useful trick

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Fri Jan 14 15:52:18 UTC 2011

Here at work, Outlook 2007 crashes when it doesn't get a response from Window-Eyes in a timely manner.  Sometimes I can shut it down with Alt-F4, followed by Alt-E.  Sometimes this doesn't work.  During this time, until Outlook is dealt with, Window-Eyes cannot speak.  Its alternate shutdown command, ctrl-Insert-F4, doesn't work then, either.

In silent situations like this, I often use Task Manager to shut things down.  Ctrl-Shift-Escape starts up Task Manager. People usually tell you to start Task Manager from the ctrl-Alt-Delete dialog, but this step isn't necessary.  I have Windows sounds assigned to the Program Open and Program Close events,  so I know when processes start and stop.  With Task Manager in focus, Shift-Tab moves you out of the list of processes to the tab control.  Left arrow puts you on the first tab, called Applications.  Tab to get into the list of applications.  Alt-E to end the Outlook application, which is usually the top one on the list.  I don't remember; I think I hit Y next to verify that I want to shut down the non-responding Outlook program.

These methods have worked for me under Windows 2000 and XP.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.