[nfbcs] Programming with a Braille display

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 16 17:33:58 UTC 2011

Well, I wouldn't recommend moving away from the linux GUI.  Just understand
that its not quite up to the standards set by jaws. It may be close to that
set by other free screen readers like voiceOver and nvda.

I do not use emacs or emacspeak. I use vi when in the CLI and gedit when in
the GUI.

The one thing I wanted to get across is that I got the impression that some
people are still thinking of linux as an novelty. In fact, linux is a real
operating system. The University of Wisconsin has run its web servers on
linux for about 10 years already. VMWare ESX and ESXI are linux forks. For
server purposes, linux is far ahead of Microsoft products. So when someone
says, "You get what you pay for" regarding linux, its just not accurate.
Linux costs nothing, but its not nothing.

I have a dream of starting a company to compete with Freedom Scientific
selling linux based accessibility equipment. I'm never going to do it
because I have too good of a job to give up and start over at my age. But I
do think there is an opportunity there.