[nfbcs] question about email and drop box

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Aug 7 01:07:09 UTC 2012

Jim,

The short answer to your question is that a file on Dropbox should download exactly as does a file that you would download from another web site.  There
is probably something wrong with the link.  Make sure it is not split on two lines, for example.  You may have to cut and paste the link into the "run" dialog
or into the "Open" dialog of your web browser putting both lines together on a single line.  The type of file, audio, text, or picture, should not affect how
you download it.

To answer your question about dropbox, it is a way to store files and have multiple computers synchronized, all having the same versions of the files you
place into a Dropbox folder.  This happens without going to the web.  As a side-benefit to this, one can create links that can provide someone who is not
a Dropbox user to download the files as was done for you.  One can also share folders with other users.  If I copy a file into my dropbox folder at home, the
file will show up on my work computer when I next turn it on.  If I copy a file into a shared folder within my Dropbox folder, the file will automatically show up
on the computer of the person with whom I shared the folder.  Again, what you are doing is different, you are just downloading, but you asked what
Dropbox is which is why I am giving you these irrelevant details.  <smile>  Finally, one can access their own files directly from the Dropbox web site as well
without installing the Dropbox software.  There are free accounts that give you a couple gigs of space or more, and you get additional space for anyone
you get to sign up.  However, there is a paid subscription that gives you a hundred gigs.  Since the files are stored on a server as a way to synchronize
your computers, this also functions as a backup and is really a cloud.  You can even get access to some of your files on a cellphone.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson