[nfbcs] Is there a PRO / CON list for screen readers

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Dec 28 16:49:51 UTC 2012

Hellow Everyone,

For those who don't know me my name is Jim Barbour and I've spend the last 30 years doing Linux systems, development, and architecture work for a living.

I am not aware of a good list of screen readers with their strengths and weaknesses.

As for Linux, for blind people there are two ways to access a Linux machine

As has been said, one tried and true way to access Linux machines is
by using an ssh client, such as putty, from a windows machine with a
screen reader.

For those who need to use Linux as a workstation, there is an option
called Orca.  As Lloyd says, there is not enough accessibility
information in standard X windows to build a screen reader for
standard X windows applications.

However, over the past 20 years a few frameworks have been built on
top of X-windows mostly to provide Linux desktop users a better user
experience.  Two of the most well known of these frameworks are gnome
and KDE.

Along with these frameworks came a screen reader called Orca, which is
still available.  Orca will work with most X programs written on top
of the gnome, and to a lesser extent the KDE, frameworks.  Not all X
applications are written on top of these frameworks.  Also, Orca is not
as polished as many of the windows screen readers - even the open
source ones such as NVDA.

If someone wants direct access to a Linux windowing system, they can
install recent distributions of Ubuntu Linux and can use Orca out of
the box.  There is also a distro of Linux called Blinux that has
several console screen readers (yasr, speakup, emacspeak, etc.) along
with Orca built into it.  Other distributions of Linux include Gnome
and Orca as well.  I don't have a complete list.

If you're needing to use your enterprise's favorite Linux
distribution, check and see if it has Gnome installed.  If it's meant
to be used as a workstation, as apposed to just being a server, it
will likely have gnome installed.  You can then install Orca and be
set to go.

I don't want to make this sound like getting going with Orca will be
easy.  It will take a lot of time and patience to learn the quirks and
bugs of this screen reader, but it does exist, is being worked on, and
is being used.

Here is a link to the Gnome accessibility page

http://projects.gnome.org/accessibility/

I hope this helps,

Jim