[nfbcs] JAWS scripts for Windows Zello available

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Mon Jun 11 19:55:46 UTC 2012

For those who don't know from my Twitters or other sources, I have
published a set of JAWS scripts for Zello, the Windows version of
course, at http://www.dlee.org/zello/

I updated these scripts today as well. The current script feature list
includes

- Easy commands for checking and handling events and status changes.

- An easy way to skim rapidly through unread messages from a channel or user.

- A system for searching the contact list for new messages,
  disconnected channels, a solo mode user or channel, and the first user
  (below all channels).

- Automatic silencing of F7, the default Zello transmit hotkey, in
  all applications.

- Better spoken information for many buttons and other controls in Zello screens.

- An accessible way to change Zello hotkeys in the Options Controls page.

- Functional Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab keystrokes for switching
  between Contacts and Recents tabs.

- A command for launching the Zello script home page from within
  Zello, such as to check for script updates.

- A comprehensive users guide for using Zello with the scripts,
  including basic information on how the PC Zello application works
  and how to perform various common tasks such as finding interesting
  Zello channels.

There are also some experimental features, disabled unless activated
by the user, that can offer automatic transmittor identification when
people talk and the ability to control some Zello functionality from a
wireless headset that can send the Alt+PageUp keystroke.

The scripts should work with quite a number of JAWS versions, though I
honestly don't know the oldest compatible JAWS version at this time. I
compile against JAWS 10.0 to make sure at least that one works.

The Windows version of Zello can be had from http://www.zello.com and
the scripts and the mentioned users guide from
http://www.dlee.org/zello/

I post script and other project update announcements to the dlee_code
Twitter and RT them on my main doug_lee42 Twitter, so you can follow
just update announcements or everything at your choice. I am not aware
of a mailing list for blind users of PC Zello, so I currently do my
best to support the scripts via Twitter.

SSB BART Group           doug.lee at ssbbartgroup.com   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
The very smart may feel they have nothing to learn from anyone;
The very wise will find something to learn from everyone.  (7/14/01)