[nfbcs] FW: Scientific Calculator

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:30:09 UTC 2012

Based on my recent knowledge of Algebra, I definitely agree with Mike. Parentheses are not multiplication but are used to separate numbers and follow order of operations. And no, computer calculators do not interpret parentheses as multiplications either. I have tried simple calculations before, and it just treats the parentheses, when being used instead of the multiply (*) sign, as just numbers and leaves the first number entered out and gives the second number as the result.

The issue with what this scientific calculator is doing may mean a couple of things:
A.  either the calculator is interpreting the parentheses when used as grouping symbols wrong, or
B.  the student is inputting the information wrong on the calculator, or
C.  there may be confusion between the student and / or the DSS coordinator with the instructor regarding calculating solutions to the problems with the material being covered in class.

I might be wrong, but this is what I know of this so far.