[nfbcs] More About CFFormProtect

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Mar 2 22:26:15 UTC 2012

Peter,

This information is pretty much what I read on their site several months ago.  I do not wish to engage
in an argument about this product because frankly I think it is a good approach for many situations and
it is the kind of out of the box thinking that might hold some promise for us.  What I am uneasy with is
the claim that this product would solve all of our CAPTCHA problems if it were generalized.  There could
be more beneath the surface of this product that is not being disclosed, though, and I am open to that.

To explain myself, this product really needs a form with a number of fields to be useful.  If one has a
contact form where one can leave comments, for example, this product is going to work very well.  I
believe that it might work in many cases where someone is filling out a form to apply for something like
an e-mail address, for example.  It would be interesting to get someone like Google who gets lots of
hits to experiment with logic like this to see how well it works.  Where I don't see it working well is
where a captcha is the primary control on a page or when it is used in conjunction with a user-id and a
password.  In cases like that, there isn't much in terms of keywords to be analyzed, and sighted persons
are more likely to tab between user-id and password and press ENTER.  I believe that their web site also
points out somewhere else in more detail that some effort must be made to not lock blind people out by
rejecting a form that only uses keyboard interaction.  Fortunately, screen readers can move mouse
pointers which means we could move the mouse if we had to.  This would be less convenient than using the
TAB key but would be a whole lot better than dealing with a CAPTCHA.  Unfortunately, though, If screen
readers can move the mouse pointer, so can spammers.  It isn't worth their time now, but it is almost a
given that if this kind of protection were to become common, mouse movement would be part of their
toolkit.  What has to be grudgingly accepted is that spammers and hackers are often smarter than most of
us who have programmed computers and written software.  This is why this CAPTCHA business is so
difficult to resolve.

Again, though, my point is not to tear down this product.  I think it is an example of an interesting
approach and it also likely works well in many situations.  I also am not ignoring the possibility that
if this product is attacked that it might be able to evolve in ways that are beyond my imagination and
avoid some of the pitfalls I've listed above.  At this point, though, I just don't think it is realistic
to suggest that this product will solve all situations where CAPTCHAs are used, and I also think that
even when it does, it isn't going to work to tell someone that rather than putting up a CAPTCHA, just
switch to Cold Fusion.  However, it doesn't seem to me that there is any concept here that is uniquely
tied to Cold Fusion.  Suggesting that other platforms make something similar available seems realistic,
and if you have any contacts with people who have developed this product, ask them how they feel they
could do if they are trying to block automated entry of user-id and passwords.  Maybe they are ahead of
me on that.  I don't claim to have all the answers.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson