[nfbcs] Mozilla Firefox not accessible with JAWS 13.0?

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 02:18:02 UTC 2012

Hello all:

I recently found out that the latest version of JAWS, JAWS 13, does not work
with Mozilla Firefox well. JAWS 12 does, and even the latest version of
NVDA, but I don't know why JAWS 13 does not. when I use firefox with jfw 12
and Windows 7, I can use the Virtual PC cursor perfectly. when I use NVDA,
the web page is read with the virtual cursor (which they call Document
cursor).

I have tried doing everything that a computer geek can possibly do to come
up with solutions. I have changed JAWS setting to not use the Virtual PC
cursor, restarted JAWS, changed settings back again, and Nada happens. when
I use JAWS 13 on my windows xp computer I just get all web pages in that
browser presented to me like if they were a standard dialog box, using the
PC cursor instead of the Virtual PC cursor. For example, if I go into
Google, I can hear that the Google Search edit box is present, I down and up
arrow and I hear nothing, but when I press the tab and shift+tab keys I hear
the options such as links and buttons and forms and stuff. the strange
thing, when I hit the NumPad + key to get me out of forms mode and go into
Virtual PC cursor mode, all I hear is, "PC cursor."

If JAWS 12 does work well with firefox, there should be absolutely no reason
why JAWS 13 wouldn't work with firefox also. what should I do? Should I
setup E.G. windows xp service pack 3, Latest version of Mozilla firefox,
ETC? or, did Freedom Scientific drop support for Firefox in this new release
of JAWS altogether? Or, is Mozilla being just careless about accessibility
for screen readers?

Any suggestions and answers are appreciated.
By the way, Yes I have an XP machine with JAWS 13 and also a Windows 7
laptop running JAWS 12. both computers have the very latest version of the
firefox browser installed.
Cheers,
Humberto