[nfbcs] [Fwd: Job Opportunity] - AFB

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Mar 7 16:23:26 UTC 2012

The American Foundation for the Blind, a national non-profit organization
that expands possibilities for people with vision loss is seeking a
full-time National Technology Associate to join its offices in Huntington,
West Virginia.
This position reports to the Director, AFB Tech. The successful applicant
will promote accessibility of information and communications technology
through work with the commercial technology industry, assistive technology
industry, nonprofit and other organizations representing the interests of
people with disabilities, and through published reports and evaluations of
technology.
ACCOUNTABILITIES:

1. Evaluates and prepares in-depth reviews of assistive and mainstream
technology, including recommendations on how to make these products and
services accessible for persons who are blind or visually impaired.

2. Assists in the analysis, development and testing of accessible design
features, and promotes and recommends solutions to developers of mainstream
and assistive technology.

3. Participates as team member on technical projects related to software or
hardware development.

4. Develops project concepts, writes grant proposals, and serves as
principal investigator for and/or participates in one or more funded
projects.

5. Identifies critical issues and trends related to technology and serves as
a national advocate for improving technology access, working with
policymakers and organizations; writing blogs, articles, or related content;
and participating in appearances and interviews with the media.

6. Develops curricula, training, and/or informational materials on making
mainstream products and
services accessible for people who are blind or visually impaired for
audiences within and outside of the blindness field. Makes presentations at
meetings of professional and consumer organizations.

7. Collaborates with individuals and organizations to improve access to
technology and services.

8. Performs other duties and works on other projects, as assigned.

QUALIFICATIONS:  Graduate degree or equivalent in engineering, computer
science, rehabilitation engineering, or related fields or five years of
related professional experience in software and hardware development or
training combined with a Bachelor's degree in a related field. Must possess
technical expertise regarding methods and strategies related to technology
accessibility for persons who are blind or visually impaired. Excellent
written and oral communication skills a must.  Demonstrated experience in
conducting product evaluations related to the design or development of
information technology. Experience with mobile and desktop hardware or
software design and development strongly preferred. Experience in creating
and managing program and grant budgets and organizational skills for working
as part of an interdisciplinary team of professionals preferred.
Salary Range (annual): $ 55,570 - $69,463
Company Website: www.afb.org
 AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To Apply: Interested parties, please email a Co

Best, Beatrice Oliveti
National Federation Of The Blind Of New Jersey Secretary
Thruoureyes Producer
Corresponding Secretary For The Northeast Chapter Of The National Federation
Of The Blind Of New Jersey
Contact Phone Number:201-430-9314
Contact Number For Thruoureyes: 1-888-572-0141 ext. 2
Please support me in my goal to fund-raise for educational and training
programs for the blind. I'm fund-raising for the race for independence.
http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/BeatriceOliveti. Number:

Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to
what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to
life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts,
events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary
results.

ver Letter, Resume, and Salary Requirements to the Human Resources
Department at hr at afb.net