[nfbcs] OCR software for Windows

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Tue Mar 27 13:15:59 UTC 2012

A lot will depend on her proficiency and persistence with the computer.  DocuScan Plus may require an internet connection; I'm not quite sure.  It is from Serotek, the people who make System Access and other programs and services.  Text Cloner was from Premier Assistive Technology in Michigan; I haven't heard anything about them lately.  Many scanners include demo or low-functioning OCR software with their driver discs.

For scanning at home, I use Omnipage, from Nuance.  The most automatic way to use it, once it is set up, is to run it as a plug-in to a word processor, preferably Word.  It does not offer automatic reading of a page while the next page is scanned, but I don't find this to be much of a disadvantage.  And it costs $500 for the full package, which is a lot less than for K1000 or OpenBook.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.