[nfbcs] VPN on a Terminal Server

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed May 9 01:35:44 UTC 2012

Leslie,

Remote desktop is a way of making one computer see everything that is on another computer.  It is, therefore, a kind of connection, but it is a very
specific kind of connection.  VPN, on the other hand, gives you access to anything that is on the network at the other end.  In your case, you probably
need the VPN connection so that the remote desktop connection can be made because the other computer would probably not be available to you
without VPN.

As I understand it, to access the terminal server with JFW, you will need to run JFW on both computers, yours and the one at the other end.  You will
need the extra license as someone mentioned.  Since I am not a JFW user, someone who has specific information on that will need to give you more
specifics.  Usually in these situations, each user loggs into the terminal server, so JFW can be set up to run on that machine only for your user-id.  As I said
in my previous note, though, some employers do not like running software with which they are not familiar on a terminal server that would impact many
people if it were to crash.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson