[nfbcs] 2012 Meeting of the NFB in Computer Science

Curtis Chong curtischong at earthlink.net
Thu May 10 01:39:16 UTC 2012

Greetings:

The 2012 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science
will be held on Monday, July 2, from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Hilton
Anatole hotel in Dallas, Texas in conjunction with the 2012 convention of
the National Federation of the Blind.  Registration will commence promptly
at 12:30 p.m.

This year, our meeting will feature presentations from a number of blind
people who are successfully employed in the field of Information Technology
(IT).  While a growing number of blind IT professionals have reported that
changes in their work environment are posing some challenges to their
ability to compete in the workplace, you will hear about strategies that
some of them are using to maintain their ability to compete on terms of
equality with their sighted peers.  Also, how well can a blind student
compete if he or she wants to enter the field of information technology?  At
least one of our presenters will attempt to answer this question.

With the imminent release of Windows 8 this fall, everyone wants to know how
well it will work with today's screen access technology.  Jeremy Curry from
GW Micro will demonstrate Windows8 with Window-Eyes and discuss some of the
technical challenges that GW Micro has had to confront regarding the
emerging platform.

Ricky Enger from Serotek will demonstrate Serotek's Accessible Event product
and has promised to show us how an AE hotspot works.

Finally, 2012 is a year of elections for the National Federation of the
Blind in Computer Science.  Four officers and three Board members are up for
election.  Pay your $5 dues and exercise your right to vote as a member of
the NFB in Computer Science.

Speaking of dues, while we will be collecting dues at our 2012 meeting,
those of you who want to pay in advance are more than welcome to do so.
There are two ways to pay your dues:

1.	You can send a check for $5, payable to the NFB in Computer Science,
to me via conventional mail.  My mailing address is as follows:

		Curtis Chong
		3663 Grand Avenue
		Unit 606
		Des Moines, Iowa  50312

2.	You can send $5.50 (the extra $.50 covers PayPal fees) directly to
my PayPal account: curtischong at earthlink.net.

Whether you choose to pay by mail or by PayPal, please be sure to give me
your email address inasmuch as this is the primary way we communicate with
our members.

I look forward to an exciting meeting in Dallas.

Yours sincerely,

Curtis Chong, President
National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science