[nfbcs] Local NAS VS Cloud Storage

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 21:11:21 UTC 2012

Good afternoon everyone,

    I believe what Gabe wants to have is a local drive from which he can
access its content via the Internet as apposed to a cloud storage service
such as Sky Drive or Cloud Drive. Cloud Drive from Rackspace is the one we
use. It runs under JungleDisk.  The JungleDisk Activity Monitor is very
accessible with JAWS but the Web interface is proving to be problematic.
This however is off-set by the fact that your Rackspace Cloud Drive shows up
on your deskktop or laptop as an additional drive in Computer or Windows
Explorer giving you complete access to the drive's content without having to
use the Web Interface.

    We have it running on all three of our machines and generally speaking
it works well. Sometimes you get strange errors when you shut down your
computer but the system  comes back without any trouble the next time you
start or reboot your computer. It's pretty neat being able to hear content
you recorded or downloaded on your PC or via a smart phone from anywhere you
happen to be. But as Jim an others pointed out these systems come with a
price.

    The approach I believe Gave wants is to own the drive and connect it to
his router or a switch giving him access to his stored files from anywhere
on his local network or over the Internet. We've been investigating a
product from Buffalo Technologies I believe will meet our file storage needs
nicely and allow us to take a bite out of the price of off-site storage
which is what Cloud Drive and similar file storage services are. The other
side of using an off-site storage service is that should a fire or other
technical issue occur your data will be protected. On the flit side storing
important data on a NAS drive will allow you to avoid the cost for off-site
storage. These systems have their plusses and minuses. It's a matter of
deciding which will be the best fit for your needs. Hope this helps.

Peter Donahue