[nfbcs] Math software

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Tue Apr 9 10:53:08 UTC 2013

I'll reply to Mike's last reply and add some comments in general.

Let me expand the thread a bit and say that my question as to whether
software would be useful was more than just a question.  You see, after I
spoke with these kids at our chapter meeting, and came up with my idea of
the teacher/student interaction aspect of the software, I started to
investigate writing a "math expression solver" engine.  The math expression
solver is fundamental to the success of such a system (i.e. the ability to
simplify a sub-part of an overall problem so you can re-write the problem in
steps in order to show the problem solution to the student).  What I'm
proposing won't be possible without this engine, so I began working on it.
I was able to find some advanced computer science texts which laid out how
simple calculator logic was programmed, and I began to work on such a
project.  As I said in earlier posts, the project is not easy, but it is
possible.  The project is definitely in its infancy, but what I have right
now is a project that ... given an expression such as (3*(5+2)) ... can
solve that expression.  This is just the very very very beginning.  If any
of you have had upper level math, you know what I'm talking about.  There
are variables to deal with, functions, many other topics.  But before I went
too far, I wanted to see if it was even worthwhile pursuing such a topic.
After all, if people are so entrenched in the current system that they are
totally inflexible, well it might not be worth all the effort such a project
will demand.  And it WILL demand work.  No question there.  But I believe I
see that this is possible ... after all ... look at Mathematica.  There is a
package that does many complex mathematical tasks.  So I think that what I'm
putting forth here is doable.  But it will take a significant amount of
work.  After all, some people said we'd never go to the moon, yet we did
with work and effort.

The point is well made that conversion of Braille to print and back will not
be easy.  However, assuming that Nemeth Braille is used for the
representation of mathematical statements, I have to believe there is a way
to perform these conversions.  From what I've read, Mr. Nemeth was able to
develop a system by which he could represent any mathematical problem in
Braille.  We already know that in print you can do that.  We have hundreds
of years of experience there.  I have to believe again that bridging the gap
and translating is possible.  The work will likely be difficult.  I have
seen many complex sets of data represented in computer code over my 35 years
of professional work, so I think this can be done, but it won't be easy.
The suggestion to look in the "non-commercial" groups to see what problems
have already been solved is a good one so I don't reinvent the wheel.

I can recall many times over the years ... before there was all of this
accessibility and accomodation ...  back in the 1970's (yes I know the stone
age) that I had teachers who didn't want to be bothered by my problem of low
vision.  Even though you told them .. "I need help" ... they just sort of
had the attitude that you had to make out the best you could, figure things
out for yourself, and then let your level of achievement fall where it may.
I think college was the worst because the teachers had their own agendas and
back then, you didn't have all the awareness you do today.  There were a few
professors who saw the potential and went the extra mile, but I found that
more the exception than the rule.  You were basically on your own.  I've
seen that attitude professionally as well too many times.  In other words,
sink or swim, but you're on your own to rise to the level you're capable of.
Some instructors will work with you, read you the problems, etc.  A lot (in
my experience anyway) won't.  When you can't depend on the teachers to help
you, you have to be able to do it yourself.  I saw this project as being the
student's ability to overcome those issues to some extent.  I saw it as the
ability for the student who wanted to do well to be able to independently
study the math.  Also, to communicate with the teacher in their language
(i.e. non-Braille) so that those teachers that weren't really interested in,
or didn't have the time to learn Braille, wouldn't have to.  The lack of
interest by the teacher wouldn't kill the students ability to keep up.  That
way, if the student didn't have access to a Braille instructor or helper for
a period of time, they could fall back to what I'm proposing and still
survive.  The student could work the problems, have Braille support if they
needed it through the software, and then send it back to the teacher in
print so that the teacher could simply treat the student as any other
student.  Such a system, I believe would give the student a level of
independence that would help them succeed.

I remember when I was in college taking math.  I couldn't see the board.  I
couldn't see what the teacher was writing.  Back in the 70's, there weren't
a lot of accessible aids like there are today.  Today I have a telescope
mounted in a pair of glasses that helps me tremendously deal with reading
the board.  I can actually sit halfway back in the room and see what's on
the board.  I sure couldn't do that 40 years ago.  In high school, I zoned
out because I couldn't see what was going on.  It wasn't until college that
I realized that I could level the playing field if I read the books on my
own, took the responsibility upon myself to read the book and do the
problems, and educate myself so that when I went to class I knew what I
didn't understand and could ask intelligent questions.  When I did that, I
started getting A's in math.  I got A's with that approach up through
Calculus and Diff. Eq.  When I heard that blind students were struggling
with math, I realized that they needed a method to be able to independently
study the topics when their classroom experience was falling short so they
could do what I did.  I was hoping this project could help give them a tool
they could use to do what I'm talking about.

And that's why I posted the question.  Would people see value in such a
project?  Would it be worth working on?  Even though it has been a lot of
work just doing what I've done so far, it might be worth it if it could help
alleviate a student's frustration and help them to succeed.

Anyway, that's my motivation.  I've said too much.

Comments welcome.