[nfbcs] web browser problem?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Apr 19 17:09:58 UTC 2013

		Tracy,

It is kind of hard to know if what you are seeing is unusual.  However, if you are running Internet Explorer, there is a version
that causes it to run without any add-ins.  Trying that version to see if the results change would be worth while.  In windows 7,
you can go to the start menu search box and type in internet expl and you should beable to press DOWN ARROW and find the "Internet
Explorer No Add-ins" option.  If that changes what you get, then it is possible that you have an add-in or plug-in that is making
some kind of decision for you and you'll have to look at your add-ins and disable them until you find the offending one.  Toolbars
are usually the most suspicious.  You could also check to be sure that something didn't change your proxy settings in Internet
Explorer.  That is one trick that malware sometimes uses, and it may not always be detected.  Also, did you download the SendSpace
thing that gives you faster free downloads?  If so, that could be causing a problem because it has the ability to display ads.

I say it is hard to know if what you are seeing is a problem because there is so much variability in web pages now.  Some Google
ads will look like the search results that you want, so you need to be sure you have pressed the key to jump to headings until you
get to search results.  There is also no guarantee that a search result won't point to a page that is displaying an ad.  In
general, There are often ads before and after search results.  Also, it is not uncomon for a web page to make certain keywords
links to jump to other relevant or not-so-relevant pages.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson