[nfbcs] How can I take my picture and video files out of my iPhone?

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Sat Dec 7 16:22:11 UTC 2013

Here's what I would suggest.  Note that I'm still proudly clinging to
XP (I'm upgrading before XP EOL, I swear), so YMMV if you don't do
this in XP.

First, copy all of the images off of your phone, but only the images.
Do this by accessing the phone directly in computer.  (If you don't
already, I suggest you turn on the display of file extensions).  Note
that it can take a few minutes for all the files to appear, so be
patient after you open the folder.

Second, once you have all the images safely off of the phone and
backed up, delete them from the phone.  You should then just be left
with the video files on the phone.

Third, sort the remaining files on the phone by size, and start
copying them, one by one, smallest to largest.  After you've copied
each one, delete it from the phone.  Make sure that the video plays
from your computer, before you delete it from the phone.  (This is
important, because many times my computer will claim to have
successfully copied a video file from my phone, but when I go to
check, the file on my computer is 0 bytes in size.)

Fourth, you'll probably start having files fail to copy once the video
files get to be larger than 500MB or so, so at that point, go into
Itunes and sync your phone with your computer.

Fifth, After your phone has synced, open the folder on your computer
that contains your Itunes library.  As you have noticed, all of the
files in this folder are random hashes, with no extension, and no
meaningful name.  However, they are the files from your phone.  They
just have different names.  So, the trick to recovering them is to
sort them by size, and then starting at the largest, match them up by
size with the video files on your phone, then once you've figured out
what a particular file is, copy it (important! copy, don't move) into
the folder where you want to store it, and rename it to the filename
(including extension) that the video file had on the phone.  You can
then delete that file from the phone, after you confirm that the file
does in fact play in your video player.

It's a huge pain (thanks Apple for not bothering to fix your removable
media implementation), but that's the best way to accomplish this.

If this doesn't work for you, you might try using Dropbox to copy them
over a few at a time.  Just make absolutely certain you're either on
Wifi, or that you've got unlimited data from your carrier. :)

Best of luck.

Aaron