[nfbcs] Inaccessiable Training - again

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 14 17:34:21 UTC 2013

Well, I'll admit it looks pretty bleak. But if you are looking for some
ray of hope to cling to, some progress has been made based on
accessibility by putting pressure on vendors who sell to universities.
Most universities take accessibility pretty seriously. And technically,
since the 508 regulations apply to them, they are supposed to be buying
accessible products. Oracle, for example, made their web interface more
accessible after several universities got together and complained. I was
a peripheral part of that effort and they listened.  I was an Oracle
user and the people who bought Oracle products for the University of
Wisconsin asked me to explain the accessibility issues to them. Oracle
assured them they'd address these issues and sure enough, many of the
problems did get fixed. The NFB had similar success with the Kindle. Of
course, that wasn't initiated through the schools, it was imposed upon
them. Even so, the fact that the 508 regulations apply to universities
gives us some leverage. These examples also illustrate how easily the
accessibility problems are fixed once the vendor decides to give it some
effort.

There is currently a discussion going on on another list I['m on.
Several IT professionals have posted long lists of the products they
used to administer that have become inaccessible in the past few years.
It seems as if we're losing ground. And that may be true.

I would like to see the NFB pay more attention to accessibility of IT
products. The vast majority of blind people are not high tech workers.
Most blind people care way more about the accessibility of Microsoft
Outlook than they do about Cisco routers. However, most blind people
aren't going to lose their livelihood  if they have to struggle for a
time with some feature of Outlook.  As long as they can send & receive
email, they're okay. But if Cisco comes out with a new interface that is
inaccessible, a lot of people like us could end up on SSDI.