[nfbcs] Inaccessible training, again

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Feb 20 03:14:26 UTC 2013

Gary:

I don't buy that computer GUI geeks are trying to make the computer look
more like the world to them. Why? Because from what the sighted tell me, the
icons don't really look like what they're represented to be. I think it's
simply habit and rampant featuritis. Jim's example of street signs is
instructive. Yes, people look for the octagon STOP sign. But it's no
*wonder* they get lost so often if they don't *read* the street signs. I'm
sorry but I truly consider that we've gotten awfully lazy expecting
everything else to process our information for us so we can suck it up thru
a straw like a puree as opposed to actually chewing on it. It's this aspect
of modern society that bugs me so; that we can just expect everything
already processed rather than having to work at it a bit.

We seem to have forgotten the sort of advice we used to get and give when
discussing working with the law: "Know your law; you'll know more than
ninety percent of your colleagues will because their too lazy to study it"
-- that sort of thing.

But eye-candy is here to stay because people have become addicted to it --
like Schreck movies as opposed to Casa Blanca.

Mike