[nfbcs] bs is bs

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Thu Feb 21 15:10:35 UTC 2013

I am somewhat encouraged by the number of technical titles being made
available on bookshare.org.  I recently found a high quality title on
there for Node.js, which is a relatively new technology.

However, this is certainly not the rule, and quite often the title one
needs simply isn't available.  That's why I know some people often
supplement legit sources of ebooks, such as bookshare, with more
questionable sources.  Of course I would never do that, nor would I
suggest that anyone else do so either.  However, I have heard that
others have had pretty good success in finding accessible titles via
unauthorized sources when titles weren't available by any other means.

I also believe that our field is much better off in respect to access
to learning materials when compared to other fields.  Yes, we do have
in general much more information to learn than most other fields, but
on the other hand, I dare say that the vast majority of all the
information printed in CS related books is also available on the web,
often in multiple places.  Of course, the problem generally isn't a
lack of availability of information, but knowing what information is
important and accurate.

Aaron

>>> gwunder%40earthlink.net<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbne

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/b.**