[nfbcs] new laptop

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun Feb 24 17:55:36 UTC 2013

I agree with Nicole.  Every laptop I've ever owned has been a Dell or
Lenovo.  Lenovo's are nice laptops.  Dell laptops tend to be larger
and not as well made, but they're fine.

As to how a particular laptop will handle your programming and
modeling needs (RNAfold), this is mostly not about the brand of
laptop, but more about the hardware configuration of your laptop.  You
should find out if RNAfold and your java code can take advantages of
multiple cores.  If so, then you should consider a laptop with
Quadcore CPUs. Most brands of laptop will have this configuration.
You'll pay for it, but it'll be worth it if you programs can take
advantage of multiple cores.  Also, memory is always a constraint.
That is, the more the better is almost always true.

Another point is that your current laptop may be slowing down because
of software that you've inadvertantly installed on it.  If you want to
try and save your current laptop, you can try restoring the original
OS, reinstalling JAWS, adding all Microsoft updates, and then adding
Microsoft Security Essentials, and then instaling your other
applications.  Doing these things will likely speed up your laptop
considerably.

As for the mac, voiceover does not support any kind of scripting.  So,
if your needs for a spreadsheet stray outside of what is provided out
of the box, then you're better off sticking with Windows.  Since all
macs have voiceover installed by default, you might be able to either
test on a friend's laptop, or go to an Apple store and try a mac
there.  It'll probably take a few 1 hour sessions to get used to
voiceover, learn a bit about the tools you'll want to use, and make a decision.

If you don't want to do this research, then I'd stick with Windows and
your screen reader of choice.

Hope this is useful,

Jim