[nfbcs] Braille requirement

majolls at cox.net majolls at cox.net
Mon Feb 25 14:27:46 UTC 2013

OK, I'm starting a new thread here.

I realize that this topic is not "technically" in the computer science area ... but ... the points that have been discussed do apply when a blind person is trying to learn a complex syntax such as a programming language.  I'm going to try to summarize so I don't write a novel.  Can we say we agree on the following about Braille:

1. Non-visual methods are necessary for efficiency (consider the student that tried to use ZoomText to close the window and it took 4 minutes ... when Alt-F4 would have done the trick in seconds).
2. Braille is necessary when a person wants to overcome the limitations their vision imposes.
3. Braille ... eventually with practice ... allows a person to achieve speed that can more nearly approach the reading speed of normally sighted people and allow a better chance at competition.
4. Speech, although useful, might does not in all circumstances provide the capability to perform the detail that is necessary for learning construction which is provided to sighted students through their vision which is required for literacy.

And I'm sure there are other points that have been brought forward that I've left out.  I've tried to hit the high points here.

I ask, then, can we put our blind students at risk because the educational system doesn't want to spend the money ... or they don't "get it" that Braille is necessary?  If we suggested that we take print away from sighted students, there would be an uproar in the community!!  Why should blind students be given less of an opportunity just because they are blind?  Isn't that discrimination?

Now, I made this post to ask this question ... if we are in agreement .. what can we do?  If Braille is important so that blind students have an opportunity to learn computer topics, or advanced math that can be used in computer science,  and thus succeed at it, then what can we do?  Or, is the national office doing enough so that we don't need to do anything?  I'm not trying to open a hornets nest here, but I just wonder what we can do?

Anybody interested in replying?