[nfbcs] Braille requirement

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 16:23:16 UTC 2013

Hello. I don't think we should ever be content to say the national office is
doing enough.  We have chapters and state affiliates precisely because it is
at these levels that we also need to make changes.  It isn't enough to have
a protest at the Amazon headquarters; we need to be talking tour own schools
about whether or not they will use the Kindle book reading system as long as
it is an accessible.  It isn't enough to press for changes in the
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act; we must work for the same kind
of language in state legislation and pressed to see that it is enforced.  We
need to take every opportunity we can to visit with teachers and talk with
them about the equivalence between print and braille.  We need to be visible
at meetings of our school board so that when we speak about things we have
credibility and recognition.

Indeed there are things that must be done at a national level, and we have a
responsibility to figure out how to fund them.  If we want people on the
Hill representing our interest, how do we fund their salaries?  If we want
someone back at the national office monitoring any legislation that has to
do with education and literacy, how do we fund them and the subscriptions
they will need to stay up-to-date?

I suggest there is plenty of work for all of us, and this is even before you
suggest new and creative ways for us to attack the problem.  It is serious,
and it demands the best we have to give.  Keep on pitching!

Warmly,

Gary