[nfbcs] Escaping from the IE toolbar from hell

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu Jan 31 16:28:59 UTC 2013

In my experience at least, the problem you're experiencing is not a
problem with the IE toolbar, but a problem with the web page itself
not taking focus when it should.  I have used the following
workarounds, any one of which may work, but none of which are
guaranteed. After each of these, you can test whether you're on the
page by hitting the PC Cursor key (numPad Plus or CapLock Semicolon
depending on your keyboard layout).  If it says "virtual PC cursor,"
you're good. If it just says "PC cursor," try the next trick.

1. Tap the Alt key to go to the menu bar, then again to leave it.
Sometimes I have to tap Alt three rather than just two times here.

2. Type Insert+Z to turn the virtual cursor off, then again to turn it
back on.

3. Type Insert+Esc to refresh the JAWS view of the page, then try
tabbing back and forth to try to focus something between the last
toolbar item and the address bar.

You can also use the JAWS cursor to click on the web page, but be
careful with that, because you can activate a link, button, etc. by
clicking one of those when you just want to click the page. Pick a
piece of text that you know is not actionable, like a part of a
paragraph.

Best of luck. I run into this problem uncommon often, sorry to say.