[nfbcs] Microsoft Support Desk for People with Disabilities and/or Assistive Technologies

Curtis Chong curtischong at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 22:10:54 UTC 2013

Greetings:

Today, I received an email announcement from Jenny Lay-Flurrie
<mailto:jennylf at microsoft.com>  from Microsoft.  It announces that effective
February 1, 2013, the Support Desk for People with Disabilities and/or
Assistive Technologies is available in North America.  Details can be found
in the attached document, which I have converted to Word 97 format for
easier reading.

We are told that the response to this new offering has been very positive.
I for one am very interested in how it will work and where the line will be
drawn between nonvisual access technology and Microsoft products.  I do
hope, for example, that we will be able to receive more help using
keystrokes in the various Microsoft programs, but I do not believe that we
should expect Microsoft to provide in-depth support for programs such as
Window-Eyes, System Access, NVDA, or JAWS.

In any event, read the attached document, explore the websites it
references, and try the Support Desk for People with Disabilities and/or
Assistive Technologies for yourself.  Please let me know how helpful you
find it based on your own personal experiences.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Curtis Chong, President

National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science