[nfbcs] Trade schools

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Mar 27 17:41:05 UTC 2013

I guess I was thinking of the places I hear ads for, like the DeVrie
Institute.  There are others, but that's the one that sticks in my mind.
I am finding this discussion instructive, albeit depressing.

I got my computer training through a certificate program that was being run
by United Cerebral Palsy, after I already had my BA.  The program I chose
specialized in training disabled people, and, at the time, had about 90% of
graduates employed shortly after graduation.  I looked into other programs
that were mainstream, but their placement rate was nowhere near as good.
The training I got seemed rigorous, and it prepared me to work successfully
from the first day on the job.  At first, the boss assigned a senior
programmer to give me very clear specs that were almost pseudo-code.  It was
too easy.  Didn't stay that way, once they saw I could do the job.
I really was lucky to find the right program at the right time.
Tracy