[nfbcs] evaluation display of a web page

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 12:09:27 UTC 2013

Hi April

Just to set the record straight ... in case I led you to believe that I evaluate websites ... I don't.  At least not professionally ... not yet.

It has often been my conviction that there HAS to be some way to do this.  While it is true there is a wide variety of combinations of how the HTML can be put together, and the fact that HTML and web technology is constantly evolving, it just seems that there should be a way to identify what is legal HTML.  I think this would have to be done by formally defining what is legal in something like Backus Naur Format (BNF) in the same way as how BNF is used to formally design a computer language.  It's through such a mechanism that we're able to write compilers and edit the programmers input and determine when there are syntax errors in the user input.  I'm not saying it would be easy.  There would have to be a national consensus that this is important and that it would be done.  However I do think it's possible.  HTML, after all, is a language to browsers.  Once the rules were defined, then a standars group could write the set of tests that I spoke about in my previous email.  Developers could then run their HTML code against the standard set of tests which would be smart enough to receive the entire HTML document and test it for meeting accessibility requirements.  Thus, the governing body could release the new set of standards and say ... "here is the version of standards that you should be coding to" ... and the developers would know the rules.  New ideas and new HTML capabilities could also be proposed to the governing body, and the new set of HTML would then be submitted to the accessibility coders so that new tests could be written.    You'd probably want to make the rules such that a new HTML feature couldn't be released until at least the code editing for accessibility had been completed.

I'm not sure how well the accessibility companies would keep up.  It might be that the governing body approves the new HTML, and the validation rules are done, and then after all that, the accessibility companies get the new standard.  That wouldn't be too good because then you'd have a "lag" between what HTML is out there, and what the accessibility software can actually handle.  You might need to set the rules such that the governing body approves, the rules are created, AND the accessibility software companies get a chance to make their changes BEFORE you release the new version of HTML to the general community.  That could, however, interfere with the creativity aspect of web design, if the accessibility companies couldn't keep up with the changes.

I have, however, digressed from my original point, that I don't do this HTML evaluation for a living.  It is something I am interested in, but it's not what I do.  Right now I'm trying to improve my computer science skills and trying to learn web programming so that I can perhaps position myself for what I'm talking about in the future. > Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 17:04:43 -0400