[nfbcs] Google Accessibility was RE: evaluation display of a web page

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Nov 6 12:14:27 UTC 2013

Kevin,

I agree in theory, but isn't that what was supposedly done with the JAVA programming language?  I do understand that JAVA and JAVA script are
completely different by the way.  Still, we can't use most JAVA programs and efforts to make that language accessible have been going on for fifteen
years at least.  Adobe has built some accessibility into FLASH, but it can be complicated to implement because you wouldn't want to dictate to FLASH
developers that their products should be accessible.  We just have a lot of trouble in general getting mass adoption of approaches that make software
and web sites accessible.  My contention is that we really need to explore approaches to accessibility that requires less from developers to succeed in the
long run.  This doesn't mean that I oppose any move to add API's, I just don't have the same confidence that it will really solve the problem even if it
makes some things better.  We seem to have never succeeded to get any built-in accessibility activated by default as there seems to always be too much
overhead for some, or it smacks of dimishing the freedom of developers to others.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:59:32 -0600, Kevin Fjelsted wrote:

>My concern with Aria is that of the millions of web pages out there only a small minority will implement it.
>I think that there needs to be a focus on implementing Aria where it can be done but the CSS analysis and Javascript and event analysis needs to be a
major focus. This can only be done if the accessibility interface or screen reading functions are deeply integrated with the browser or have a deep data
access.