[nfbcs] Questions regarding the Accessibility of Adobe Connect

Jeanine Kay Lineback jeanine.lineback at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 17:05:11 UTC 2013

Hello, I'm wondering if any of you guys have had success using Adobe Connect
with a screen reader or on your iPhone with VoiceOver? On Wednesday evening
I attempted to use Adobe connect first on a computer running Windows 7 and
JAWS version 14. I also tried the latest version of NVDA. I could read parts
of the Connect screen but couldn't read the menu items in the drop down
menus, such as choices to setup my audio and webcam. I had less success with
NVDA than Jaws. After having difficulties with the computer accessibility
for Adobe Connect I tried running it using their Connect app on my iPhone 5
with VoiceOver. This experience was even more painful. When I loaded the
Connect app VoiceOver ceased to read anything and all I got when I tapped or
touched the screen was the annoying bonk sound but no spoken feedback from
VoiceOver. At that point I pressed the home button three times to unload
VoiceOver, thinking that possibly VO had just crashed. However, when I
pressed the home button three times instead of hearing, "Unloading
VoiceOver," I heard, "VoiceOver is already unloaded." Then I asked a
colleague to verify my experience thinking that possibly I had accidently
unloaded VoiceOver. The colleague that assisted me was sighted and he
watched as I exited the Connect app and VoiceOver automatically began
speaking again. My colleague then tried loading the app with VoiceOver
loaded and typing in the connection information into the text edit field.
There was no speech feedback and he verified that the text edit fields
reacted as they do when VoiceOver is not loaded. Again we pressed the home
button three times and received the message, "VoiceOver is already loaded."
I checked the documentation for accessibility with Connect on the computer
found at:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/connect/8.0/using/WS5ae85155c1a0214d1172e081227b
89777b-8000.html#WSae3c91d7a034cbd05a323db512ad5804d0c-8000
 And found that I was using the keystrokes listed to navigate the drop down
menus but was not getting menu items spoken by JAWS or NVDA as the
documentation indicates should happen.
After I tweeted my experiences to @AdobeAccess. They gave me the link to
their documentation regarding accessibility keystrokes. I read it and found
that I was already using the prescribed keystrokes. We have been tweeting
back and forth since letting them know that I didn't get the results they
describe in the documentation.
In regards to the Connect app with VO, Adobe Access claims that they had not
been notified of any issues with VO. So, I gave them a link to an article
from April of 2012 located at
http://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/business/adobe%C2%AE-connect%E2%84%A2-mobil
e-ios
So, what have you guys experienced in regards to the accessibility of Adobe
Connect on the computer with JAWS or NVDA?