[nfbcs] How to read smpte timecode

Oso Calmo osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Oct 29 17:47:51 UTC 2013

Hello listers,

I'm totally blind and I was asked to transcript and translate a documentary
in MP4 file format.
The problem I have is that I need to write the time when sentences are
spoken, not the time from the beginning of the file, but the time that is
included in the file and shown on the screen when you record with certain
movie recorders.
This is called timecode or SMPTE timecode.  Writing this time is very
important for them, because they will edit the file later and, even when
they cut the file, for example, they need to have the correct time when
words are spoken without making any modifications to the time values I'm
supposed to write.

This time might start at 2:15:34 and change to 0:00:08 after a while. It
might jump again to a different time later.

I have checked RealPlayer, WinAmp and QuickTime, but no success so far.
In QuickTime, there is an option under edit: settings to display the
TimeCode when available in stead of the normal running time, but I can't
make Jaws read the running time or the timecode in QuickTime.

Has someone found a solution to this?
Do I need to use a different program?
Is it possible to extract the TimeCode from an MP4 file by programing or by
using some tool?
If I could extract the TimeCode values from the file, I might be able to
accomplish this task without sighted assistance.
Of course, reading timecode directly from a different application or even
from QuickTime, if possible, might be much easier.

I'm using JAWS 11 with Windows XP SP3.
I'll  try to use NVDA if that's the solution, although I'm not very familiar
with it at the moment.

Thanks in advance.