[nfbcs] Office 2013

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Feb 22 16:18:46 UTC 2014

Louis,

>From what I have read elsewhere, you are right that many people seem to be using Office 2013 successfully.  However, I must confess to feeling
frustrated that upgrades to Microsoft products generally are something for us to endure rather than to benefit from.  Just once, I'd like the chance to hear
that an upgrade to office actually was something I really wanted, given that I'll have to upgrade at some point.  Nevertheless, your note along with Doug
Lee's note bring to the discussion the fact that we need to investigate and understand accessibility problems completely.  It would be very useful to
understand, for example, if the information not displayed is being displayed in a control that would be accessible if it was supported by screen readers.  On
the other side of the coin, though, I know that there have been cases when Microsoft has used new technology but has not addressed bugs in that
technology making it difficult for screen readers to implement.  As consumers, we can't get a very complete view of all of this because of the non-
disclosure agreements that are in place.  In some cases, I suspect that screen reader developers do not have the resources to keep up with the pace of
change being implemented by Microsoft.  It is a complicated picture, but I believe we have to understand all of this better so we can figure out where to
apply pressure effectively.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson