[nfbcs] Commercial IT Blindness Accessibility Issues

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 18 14:12:31 UTC 2014

Many of the things you mention below are written into the mission
statement of the International Association of Visually Impaired
Technologists (www.iavit.org).

A continuing source of frustration to me is that this general subject
keeps coming up on lists like this and there is a lot of talk but nobody
ever wants to actually do anything.

I mean, anyone on this list could actually make a difference by helping
out with IAVIT. Talk is one thing, action is something else. And we
could really use some help. Right now, probably the main thing we could
use is someone to maintain our wiki. The idea was to provide a place for
us blind technologists to share tips and tricks on workarounds we have
discovered. For example, I wrote a wiki page on how to use the Windows
Automatic Installation Kit with a screen reader. But our wiki keeps
getting hacked and I haven't had time to figure out how to secure it.
Heck, just contributing to the wiki, once we get it working again, is
something anyone could do.

Another thing is that our outreach committee has been rudderless for,
well, for forever.  The original chair never did anything. It's supposed
to reach out to software and hardware vendorss to try to get them to
make accessibility part of the corporate culture. n a way, we have made
some progress. We have a project we're working on with VMware. We have
about $400 in donations for hardware, and we have VMware employees
working on getting us official status from the VMware Foundation. But I
pretty much arranged all of that myself. And I don't even particualarly
care about VMware accessibility. It doesn't really even effect me
personally.

Everybody seems to have all these opinions on what should be done but it
always seems that they are talking about what other people should do.
They say "we" should do this or that. But what that really means is
somebody, not me, should do this or that. Well, if not you, who?