[nfbcs] Commercial IT Blindness Accessibility Issues

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 20 15:19:33 UTC 2014

I am not sure I'd describe myself as optimistic.  I don't believe in
giving up, that's all.

So you may be referring to my tendency to tilt at windmills butI think
you are probably referring to my assertion that most accessibility
problems are fairly easily solved and that you can get really, really
far with accessibility with what amounts to as a minimal effort. I don't
know how anyone can dispute these assertions. Don't we all use the web
dozens and dozens of times every single day? I mean seriously, the
University of Wisconsin campus lost internet connectivity for a couple
of hours Wednesday morning and I realized the only work I could do was
on stuff I already knew how to do. I'll bet I google for info on how to
call a perl module or what the valid values are for a configuration
parameter are about 20 times a day. I just got done shopping the amazon
and newegg sites for X10 controllers. The accessibility problems I run
into are things line poor linearization, unlabeled graphics, and
captchas.  I would estimate that half of my accessibility problems would
be fixed with a simple "Jump to content" link and/or reasonable use of
headings.

I am not saying flash and java applets are easy to make accessible.
Heck, I don't even know anything about that. But I don't care because,
first of all, the vast majority of that stuff is fluff I don't want
anyway and secondly, I tend to stay away from web sites that use that
stuff because they are generally poorly designed. There is a
correllation between how accessible a site is and how good it's
information is because the developer put time into the content instead
of fluff.

A few years ago, there was an IBM ad where the web designer was showing
his boss the company's new web site. The web designer guy was showing
off the new, rotating, flaming logo at the top of the screen. And the
boss says, "You know what would be really cool is if we could tie this
into our inventory." Okay, that was just an ad but it's the way things
really work. Don't put stuff in flash and/or a java applet. That's just
wasting everybody's time. Looks are nice but functionality is what
really matters.

This only gets more true (more important) as technology advances. There
will always be underpowered devices because we are always going to want
to have a smaller package for use in ever more remote areas. Right now,
the minimum standard is an IPhone with a 4G connection. If you write a
web app that doesn't work on an IPhone, you've screwed up. Twenty years
from now we'll all have computers implatned behind our ears or
something. And maybe they'll have 1024 cores and a 96G network
connection. But if that's the case, then your office computer will have
4096 cores and a 4Tb connection.

Yeah, yeah, I know there are exceptions to everythning I've said. But
just about all of it is based on a very, very basic principle in
engineering, not just computer programming. Keep it simple, stupid. If
you're going to dispute my basic point here, you've got to deny like
4,000 years of engineering wisdom.