[nfbcs] Innovation, Usability, Accessibility, standards, and legal requirements.

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Mon Mar 3 17:29:13 UTC 2014

Hey Doug,

What processes does your company use to help you decide how something should be made accessible? That is, how do you deal with the usability problem?

I'm assuming you deal with it by having the blind people who will be the direct benefactors of your changes try out the new technology and see if it's usable by them.  i.e. they can figure out how to navigate, get information, manipulate objects, etc., etc.

I'm sure Doug already knows this, but It's worth all of us keeping in mind that assessing eyes free usability (accessibility) is a much harder problem to solve if you're not in the accessibility business.  How do the developers, QA folks, product managers, etc. know if the product they've written is usable by a blind person.

As has been eluded to in this thread, there aren't good standards, tests, or best practices that will come close to guarenteeing this. I'm afraid that the only way to really know is to pay a cross section of the blindness community to test your app, which doesn't scale well.

Jim