[nfbcs] Windows task Scheduler Won't Stay Started

Mike Freeman via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 20:49:04 UTC 2014

Hello, everyone.

For some time, I have not been able to schedule backups. I'm running windows
7 Home Premium (I think) on a HP Pavillion DVD7 laptop. I can take system
image backups so I'm not completely blown out of the water. But it *would*
be nice to get things working again.

The underlying problem is that the Task Scheduler won't stay started
(Windows Backup needs it and the Event Log service to do its thing). The
Windows Backup error code is 0x80070032. This just indicates that one or
more underlying services aren't running. It turns out that the service that
isn't running is the Task Scheduler. I've tried to restart it usinc
services.msc; the resulting message says that the service started and
stopped and that some services *do* stop. Windows Task Scheduler should not
be one of them, though. There is no error reported.

I've looked online and all the suggestions save two I've tried (at least
that don't require paying for some fancy fixit tool). The two I haven't
tried are a complete windows reinstall - I don't want to do that because I
have absolutely everything working as I wish and I *hate* having to go back
to Square One - and doing a Windows Repair Install - this one can only be
done with sighted help and while I have this, I'd rather avoid the hassle if
I could.

Does anyone else have ideas? And if I *do* try a Repair Install, will JAWS,
NVDA, Outlook, TotalRecorder and my other favorite software remain so that I
can just restart again or am I going to have to go through the whole mess.

My kingdom for OpenVMS. (grin)

Mike