[nfbcs] Practical Tips for Improving a Blind Person's Productivity on Computers

Robert Jaquiss via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Sun May 18 02:31:14 UTC 2014

Hello:

     Like Curtis, I use keyboard shortcuts. I also use and develop
applications using ALT from U-R-Able. ALT allows me to create keyboard
shortcuts for commonly performed tasks. For example, I own a business,
represent American Thermoform Corporation and hold two offices in the NFB of
Oregon. I therefore need several different closings for email. ALT lets me
define shortcuts, so I can put the proper closing on my email.
I also use ALT for Word. ALT also lets me use software which is only
accessible with a mouse. MakerWare for example does not work with the
keyboard. ALT allows me to load files and create 3d objects with a MakerBot.
The solution isn't perfect. If I have too large an object and need to move
or scale it, I still need sighted assistance.

Regards,

Robert

Robert Jaquiss
Tactile Graphics Solutions LLC.
6207 Warwick Court SW
Albany, OR 97321-3784
Phone: (971) 208-6129 (home)
Email: rjaquiss at earthlink.net
*** Specializing in computerized production of tactile graphics, ALT
development, technology assessments, product evaluations and web site
certification. ***