[nfbcs] Accessible UNIX / LINUX Help Request

John Heim via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Wed May 21 14:15:07 UTC 2014

Ironically, the issue of how difficult it is to learn linux became part
of the discussion I mentined earlier.  I pointed out that difficult is a
relative word. Learning linux and orca is easier than learning to be a
brain surgeon, I'll grant that. But it's harder than learning to tell a
quarter from a dime.

It's impossible for me to say how hard it is to learn linux. I've been a
unix/linux user my entire life. When i got my first Windows computer, it
was Windows 95, I freaked out. I didn't see how a blind person could
learn Windows when you had to click all these buttons to get anything
done and eacht button could be almost anywhere in the operating system.
Who knows how many buttons you might have to click to get to the one you
want. In linux, you pretty much  can do anything by typing in a command.
And to change settings, you almost always just edit a text file. It
really is a different skill set.

Another thing, and don't tell anyone I said this, orca kinda sucks. I
know the developers have poured their hearts andsouls into that screen
reader but they have challenges other screen reader developers do not.
For one thing, the window managers seem to come and go like the latest
reality TV show star. And someone just posted a message today to the
orca list saying the problem really is in the audio drivers in the
kernel. And that is another point. Every few years the linux developers
switch to a completely different set of sound drivers. First there was
oss, then alsa, and now pulse. Yesterday, I was actually considering
trying to re-install an obsolete version of debian linux just because
orca was so much more stable two years ago than it is now. It could be
argued that these problems are temporary and are due to the switch from
alsa to pulse and gdm to gnome-shell  at the same time. So maybe things
will settle down eventually.

I should add that I am using debian linux. Sonar is way better for blind
people than plain debian.  That is what is so great about it, the sonar
developers have worked out most of the bugs.

Having said all that though, I still think learning linux is worth the
effort. If it weren't for the current instability, linux would be way
better for blind people than Windows. Linux is designed for you to log
in remotely and do stuff. The apache web server, for example, is managed
entirely through text files and by entering commands at the command
line. The same is true for dns, dhcp, database servers, backup,
monitoring, mail. All the most popular packages for doing those things
are managed at the command line and by text files. A blind person is
hardly at a disadvantage at all and you don't even have to install any
special software on the remote server. A blind person uses the exact
same tools as a sighted person, ssh and gedit.

PS: That thing about not telling anyone what I said about orca is a joke.