[nfbcs] Sonar or Vinux

John Heim via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 13:58:00 UTC 2014

What both sonar and vinux try to do is to install or enable all the
fixes you have to do to make linux work for a blind person. Some of this
stuff requires a great deal of knowledge of linux. For example, by
default, the linux screen reader for the console does not work with
serial speech synthesizers. So if you have a hardware speech synth that
connects to the serial port, like a doubletalk, it won't work. You have
to edit the kernel source code, comment out a line in a C  program,
recompile the kernel and install it.

Actually, I am not entirely sure that either vinux or sonar come with a
kernel patched for serial hardware synths. And I don't want to make it
seem like linux is all that terrible for anybody with a reasonable
understanding of computers. I mean, dealing with this kind of gotcha is
exactly what we do for a living. That is sort of what being a computer
nerd is. But even if you are fairly knowledgeable about Windows it is
going to take some time to acquire the knowledge you need for linux.
Sonar and vinux can help with that.