[nfbcs] Preparing a computer for selling

Jim Portillo via nfbcs nfbcs at nfbnet.org
Sat May 31 20:50:11 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I have a few questions because I'm seriously considering selling a computer
that is not being used.  However, not having done this before, I want to
make sure I'm thinking straight.  Some of you may think these questions are
basic, but my theory is that it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have an Asus 11 inch notebook computer with the Windows 8 operating
system.  I thought I was going to use it more than what I am, and I'm in a
situation that I'm considering selling it to make a little money for what
will be a big investment.

I do have JAWS installed on it and know I can uninstall it.  The question on
that is whether or not I can get that particular key back to use elsewhere.
If so, how do I get that key back?  Doesn't JAWS come with something like
five keys?

The bigger question deals with Office 2013.  I have it installed on that
computer.  Should I or is it good for me to uninstall it?  If so, can I get
that particular key back, as it is one of those one key programs?  It would
be nice to either be able to upgrade my current computer to that office or
be able to use it later on.

The only email account I have on that computer is the one with which I
registered Windows, so there are no messages on there.

What else should I clear from that computer?

I paid good money for the Office suite, so I would like not to lose it if
that's possible.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Jim