[nfbcs] Telling employers about disability and question about work expectations

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 5 11:56:51 UTC 2014

I wanted to reply to both John and Gary ... thank you for responding.  This is definitely NOT about computer science, so I won't post again on this list about this topic ... if anybody wants to keep this going, perhaps we should take this off-topic.

This whole thread started with the question of telling employers about your disability on an interview.
I think my response was ... "be careful what you wish for .. it is a tough world out there and you may be facing (because of your career choice) a lot of pressure and extra work ... be ready ... be prepared ... because it ain't gonna be easy ... at least you should expect that. "

One response that was made was for us to work twice as hard and twice as smart.  I couldn't agree more.  I always knew I was a slow reader, but for a long time I didn't sit down and time myself so I could quantify the deficiency.  After I saw my son reading a book and realizing how fast he was reading compared to me, I did that.  Then I understood at least one reason why people were moving ahead of me.  I was only reading at 50% of normal.  Programming is largely a visual task with a LOT of reading ... books ... on the computer screen ... it's very visual.  So you can see why my reading speed is such a detriment to my productivity should I choose to use my vision.   Therefore, if I only read a half the normal rate, then it is logical to assume that I must work at least longer than a normal 40 hour week just to stay even.  Does it have to be 80 hour weeks (twice as hard)?  Well, that's difficult to sustain especially when you have a family and kids.  But you should at least work MORE than the 40 hour week.  Then there's the working smarter so that you use your time as efficiently as possible and maximize your output.   And maybe by working smarter, you don't have to work 80 hours, but you still have to work more than 40.

This makes me wonder if educators are assessing their students, timing them, and being honest with them about what their deficiencies mean for them?  I know when I was a kid and coming through high school and college, nobody told me anything.  I had to figure it out myself.  Not even the rehab counselors I had told me anything like that.  I might not have listened if they had told me, but I wish at least they would have been honest and let me know (as my eye doctor told me) that my vision was going to impact any career I chose.  Then perhaps I would have understood that I had to work more than 40 hours a week if I wanted to get ahead.  Perhaps I was stupid.  Perhaps any intelligent person should figure that one out.  Anyway, if the educational system isn't preparing their students with this information, I think they should.

Another response that was made was that the world was designed to be a seeing world, and humans were designed to see, and anybody who lacks there is at a disadvantage.  This is also related to the comment that "blindness is just a nuisance".  At a chapter meeting, we had a discussion topic that was supposed to stimulate a debate.  The thought was proposed ... "blindness is like being left handed.  It's a right handed world out there so left handed people are at a somewhat disadvantage but they can cope.  Blindness is like that .. it's just a nuisance".  I had to disagree.  Blindness can be a factor that can knock you out of certain jobs.   Just think about a blind police officer, or a blind fireman.  Or a blind professional baseball player.  I think those would be extremely difficult to do without vision, and I basically spoke my mind.  The consensus of the group was that blind people could do anything and didn't want to be limited.  Instead they wanted to be hopeful and positive.  I believe in working hard and trying to "overcome" my disability, but there comes a point where you have to admit that perhaps you can't do something.  I comment on that because I think blind people need to be careful about their career choices.  They need to try and understand the duties that must be performed in the daily job and evaluate what extra skills they might need in order to be successful at the task.  I don't think, for many jobs, you should automatically say ... "you're blind you can't do it".  That's taking it too far.  But you do need to evaluate what is required and then try to determine what you can reasonably do and if that's adequate.

And as was said, sometimes, no amount of hard work will compensate.  In other words, sometimes the answer is no.  Pick a different career perhaps.

Another comment made was about bosses.  Some bosses are good, some just don't care and aren't going to cut you any slack.  That's a big reason why I said a blind person better understand his limitations with respect to the job demands and he or she better know the methods he needs to have at his disposal or else bosses like this are not going to be nice people to work for.  Boy do I understand this point.

To tie this all together, you owe, you OWE the employer a good days work.  I think they're entitled to know what they're getting.  I don't think I'd harp on the fact that I was disabled to the point where it sounded like I was whining, but if they asked, I'd tell them.  And, I'd follow that by telling them that I already knew how to get around the issues I face and that I could produce for them.  And I'd make sure I was trained with the knowledge for the job, and also had the coping and blindness skills, and knew what kind of time commitment I had to sustain (overtime) so that I could do a really good job for them.  After all, they're paying money, and that's why you OWE them a good days work.  One that is as competitive with the next guy as possible.

And that's why I asked the question .. are blind students being told these things?  If they're low vision, are they being taught braille so they can see if that works for them?  They certainly can't know that if they're not being taught about it.  And here's a thought.  Would it be advisable to test blind students before graduating in a mock job situation so they can see how they do in an actual job assignment situation?  Then you could see if their skills are where they need to be.  Specifically in the computer area, have a testing situation where the student gets assigned a programming problem ... an easy one ... and then see how quickly he performs it to see how he'd survive on the job?
Perhaps his skill set has to be Jaws, Braille, Eclipse ... you identify by talking to the employer what the skills should be.  Then setup the test situation and let him do the work.  Find out what the employer thinks is reasonable and would be happy with.  Then see where the student fits within that guideline.

I wonder if something like that would help ensure blind people were successful.  And, if employers found blind people were successful, they might be more apt to hire the next one.

I've said a lot here, and I've tried to stay on topic.  There were a lot of opportunities for chasing a related topic.

Comments are welcome, and if you want to take this off topic and discuss it personally, that's fine.

Mike