[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 17 16:19:32 UTC 2014

We pretty regularly have discussions of linux accessibility on this
list.  If you'd come in a few days earlier, you'd have seen a couple
dozen messages on that very topic. Personally, I am glad to see it. I
think linux is a great career path for a blind sIT person.

I do programming and systems admin for the Math Department at the
University of Wisconsin. I use linux full time on my desktop and all of
our servers are linux. There is only one screen reader for the linux
graphical user interface, orca. Orca is not as stable as jaws. It's kind
of got a lot of bugs. Don't get me wrong, I think the orca developers
are great. But it's a tough job.  I feel I am about as productive as a
blind person can be using orca. I do have to deal with the bugs and
crashes but it's not so bad that I think I am seriously hampered by it.

As I said, we just had a discussion on how to start with linux and orca.
I think it's tough to say whether it is better to start with a version
of linux customized for the blind or if that is counter productive. I
think if my job depended on it, I'd start with a custom distro. There
are 2 custom distros for the blind, sonar and vinux.  I would use the
one closer to the one that other people in my company are using. Sonar
is a fork of manjaro linux which is in turn a fork of arch. Vinux is a
fork of ubuntu which is, in turn, a fork of debian.