[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 01:19:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

I think without a fuller description of the software engineer's current
setup and level of sight, it's difficult to say exactly what will meet his
assistive technology needs.

With that said, I have a few recommendations that may help or lead to more
questions and answers. Firstly, this list is probably not the greatest one
to ask about linux as it does have a slight or perhaps major Windows bias.
For that reason, I would ask on the Orca, Gnome A11y, Speak Up, and
Emacspeak lists. These are the folks who are using those products day to
day for both work and play.
Secondly, if he already knows Emacs, I would highly suggest he pick up
Emacspeak. It's pretty much the best in class development environment for
perhaps any software engineer who uses speech on any platform. It does have
a decidedly high learning curve, most of which involves learning Emacs and
core linux system management. I'm assuming he doesn't know braille;
otherwise, Brltty is fabulous for post boot access to a linux shell
environment.

Finally, I'd be happy to chat offline as some things are better discussed
in a less latent medium as email.

HTH,
David