[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 18 22:48:47 UTC 2014

I am not sure the best bang for the buck ist o use Windows
terminal emulator. My opinion is that once the learning curve has been overcome, the most efficient way to work with linux servers is with a linux workstation. Obviously, for a sighted person, there’s be no question about that. The reason it might not be true for a blind sys admin is that the screen readers for Windows are so much better than the one for linux, orca. Even so, I think that’s a tough call.

In this thread, people have talked about how hard it is to use a character based text editor like vi or emacs with a screen reader. I don’t do that. I use an sshfs client to attach a network file system and edit files with edit on my workstation. Another advantage is that the terminal emulator program in gnome works great with orca.