[nfbcs] Helping a software engineer keep his job

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Oct 20 18:48:50 UTC 2014

John,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my slightly loose interpretation of Mike's comments came from this passage in
his note:  "With all due respect, why do you keep insisting upon a standard for what time a blind person should
spend to achieve a "normal" output -- presumably meaning the same as that of one's sighted colleagues? The blind,
as with everyone else, are human beings with all the variability that this implies."  To me, that's close enough
to saying we all have our strengths and weaknesses to count, but let's forget about personalities or
organizational philosophies for a moment and look at this as a significant issue.

I think most of us would agree that if one becomes disabled on the job that an employer has some responsibility to
cut that employee some slack while that employee works through a difficult transition period.  Further, it is
generally accepted that reasonable accommodations should be made to permit a job to be performed by a blind person
if they permit that person to do the job adequately.  If, after some length of time, I am not able to do a given
job even with reasonable accommodations, doesn't it make sense for me to look for a different position?  If you
disagree with the substance of your quotation of Mike, I'd like to understand better what your position is.

Information Technology in general has a good bit of flexibility built into it, and that can make finding a place
in it less than simple, yet figuring out how to leverage our strengths can sometimes mean that our career may not
be that which we initially envisioned.  Do you disagree with that?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

		On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:14:03 -0500, John G. Heim wrote:

>Different people have different strengths and weaknesses, huh? Mike
>said, "If you, the blind person, can tolerate this, well and good. If
>not, you can either improve your skills or go into some other profession."

>I guess technically, telling someone  that if they can't cut it, they
>should forget about their career and become a massage therapist is
>acknowledging that different people have different strengths and
>weaknesses. But somehow, I don't think that was the point he was trying
>to make.

>PS: I find it particularly ironic that you used one of my favorite
>phrases and attributed it to Mike Freeman, who, in all our many debates
>over the years has never been willing to acknowledge the value of that
>particular point. I promised on the nfb-talk list that I'd never say
>anything about the NFB philosophy again. But that whole thing about
>different people haveing different strengths and weaknesses was the key
>point I always tried to make during those debates.

>On 10/19/14 18:08, Steve Jacobson via nfbcs wrote:
>> John and others,
>>
>> I must admit that your reaction surprised me just a little because I didn't think Mike was saying what you
stated, but I do think there are some things to
>> consider about measuring one's output.  Please understand that some of what I say below is based on mistakes I
have made during my career, I'm not
>> saying I've done everything right.
>>
>> First, it is a mistake for us to measure ourselves against what we think we could accomplish if we had normal
vision.  If I had normal vision, there are a lot of
>> tasks I think I probably could do faster, but who knows if I would have even taken up programming at all.  In
my case, my life might well have ended in
>> Vietnam had I had normal vision.  I may not have felt education was as important and not even pursued what I
did.  It is particularly easy to see how one
>> does many tasks slower as one looses vision, without taking into account that some things will necessarily be
done differently.

>> Second, one should strive to be the best they can be, but that does not mean that being less than the best is a
failure.  Most sighted people working in a
>> particular job are not the best as there are generally only a few who are truly the best by definition.
>>
>> Third, and I thought this was something Mike was trying to address, as human beings, we all have different
strengths and weaknesses.  To a large degree,
>> it is the results that matter, not strictly how one gets there.  That is going to also be true of how we
approach a job as a blind person.  Some of us can gain
>> efficiency by keeping huge amounts of information in our memories.  Others of us work hard to be efficient
note-takers.  I see braille as being important, but
>> we likely don't all use braille in the same way.
>>
>> Fourth, we have to be careful to judge ourselves over the long haul and not just on one or two projects.  Not
every project comes in on time and/or under
>> budget for anyone, but if one is having a consistent problem, then of course one needs to try to learn more.
>>
>> Okay, so I've now provided four ways to get us off the hook if we don't feel we're being as efficient.  There
are four different methods to justify being slower.
>> But of course, that really isn't my point.  We do have to consider these things, though, as we consider our own
performance.  The goal here is to try to get
>> through some of the noise to get to what might be real answers.  We do have to be aware of what we do well and
what we do not do well, and that won't
>> be the same for all of us.  If a major part of our job involves something that, after a lot of research, we
find we don't do well or very quickly, we have to look
>> for ways to make that up in other areas of our particular position.  If we can't, we probably have to consider
looking for a position that doesn't involve as
>> much of the task that we're not good at.  I would even venture to say that some of us because of these issues
may not advance as quickly as might some
>> of our co-workers.  However, we have to be careful to differentiate between discrimination based upon blindness
and not advancing because we satisfy
>> requirements but perhaps don't excell.
>>
>> One thing that I have tried to do is to learn as much about the environments I work in as I can.  One can make
up significant time by learning what can be
>> automated that others might do visually, and some of these approaches have been developed outside of work
hours.  Whether it is fair or not, we have to
>> be as familiar with whatever access technology as we can be.  If we are in a technical field, we likely have
the aptitude to do some of our own scripting for
>> example, but we are not hired by our employers to write JAWS or Window-Eyes scripts, so we really have to try
not to have that interfere too much with our
>> jobs.  An employer who has an employee who becomes disabled should be expected to help that employee get
through a period of transition, but our
>> chances will diminish if we think that period of transition should last forever.
>>
>> Finally, we need to try to network and share solutions as we try to do here.  We won't always agree on
solutions, but multiple solutions are good.  Still, there
>> is no getting around the fact that an employer is paying money to have a job done.  An employer doesn't get
exactly the same return on every employee,
>> even for the same pay.  We can only do what we can to remain within an acceptable range of return, and this may
include developing a specific skill that is
>> useful to one's employer.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Steve Jacobson
>>
>> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:41:12 -0500, John G. Heim via nfbcs wrote:
>>
>>> This is just so typical of you, Mike. Whenever anyone admits to struggling with their disability, you tell
them to shape up or get out. I find your attitude