[nfbcs] Telling employers about disability and question about work expectations

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Sep 30 18:24:53 UTC 2014

Yes. Generalizations are dangerous, not only because each blind person has
his/her own capabilities, talents and interest but because the nature of the
work may interact with these factors. For example, writing visually-pleasing
web pages is different than coding scientific problems in FORTRAN or ALGOL
or writing in pithon, ruby-on-rails and so on.

But in general, we tend to believe that kids should be brought up expecting
that they should do whatever it takes to obtain the same production
standards as their sighted colleagues or if they cannot, that they bring
other advantages to the job that will make it worth it for an employer to
hire them.

IN other words, we don't assume that blind people are ipso facto slower or
less productive than sighted people.

Cheers!

Mike