[nfbcs] Questions about making an accessible app

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Thu Apr 16 19:09:03 UTC 2015

Hi

I am in my senior capstone class and we are developing a tour app for
Arizona State University Fulton Engineering. As a legally blind person, I
want to make sure our app is accessible to those with disabilities.

This app will be a self guided tour and will be using the Google Maps API.
The group outvoted me and decided to do it in Intel XDK rather than swift
or the native dev for android. They want it to be dynamic where the user is
at one waypoint selects the next and follows the arrow on the map. IS there
any way to add accessibility to this for screen readers? I felt there
should be text directions but they said that would not dynamic get a person
from point A to point B.

I have never developed and app in XDK nor worked on accessibility in an
app. Any advice on good practices would be appreciated. I even had to
convince them you can't just use color as an indicator of things.

I said as a school provided app this must be accessible. They want to push
accessibility until it is done which makes not sense and is a backwards way
to develop.

Thanks for any advice
Suzanne