[nfbcs] Sad attempt at an accessible form- Please offer suggestions

Misty Williams misty.williams at tampalighthouse.org
Fri Aug 21 14:33:43 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I tried to use a combination of Google, Word help, and some of a Freedom
Scientific training article to create my first accessible form in Word for a
co-worker. (Please keep in mind that I know nothing about making forms in
Word, much less making them accessible, but I was trying to do a good
thing.)  I have run into some issues and would appreciate any help you could
offer.

So Tab/Shift Tab works to navigate the fields. Alt and the Up/ Down arrow
will open the drop-down lists, if applicable- which is not normal, but not
too inconvenient. Using JAWS, I'm hearing the announcement of what the form
field is for. I have it locked for editing, so users can only access the
form fields. BUT, JAWS was reading some sort of "3.3 inches" when it starts
reading the form field, which my co-worker found very distracting. I can't
figure out if that is a JAWS setting, or something to do with Word, or how
to fix it.  I have attached the form to see if anyone has any thoughts for
improvements or tips for making accessible forms in an easier manner. Any
help would be appreciated

Misty Williams