[nfbcs] certificates vs. assosiates vs. bachelors

Jorge Paez jorgeapaez1994 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 19:14:50 UTC 2015

Hi all:
So I was wondering something based on a discussion I had this morning
with a few people.
What's the difference between a certificate, bachelor and associates
program in terms of industry reception?
Obviously I know the most important thing for work of any kind is a
proven track record, and corresponding certs but is this enough or is
traditional college required?
In other words, would a certificate program in specific areas be
sufficient and be recognized the same way an associates and/or
bachelor's degree would be?
And, is there any specific advantage to any of these certifications
over the others?
Obviously the Assosiates and the Bachelors take more time then the
certificate and they are more traditional but also, a lot of the time,
specially for 4-year degrees are spent fulfilling General Education
requirements which have no impact on your Computer Science curriculum
or your performance in computer-related and/or job related functions
so I was wondering if the time was really counted?
I'm just interested in seeing which of these options was most highly
seen by the industry--if the industry still prefers a
bachelors/associates (either or or one specifically) to a cert program
or if they are all judged equally as long as you have sufficient
skills, etc. to do what you need to do.

--
Thank you.

Jorge A. Paez