[nfbcs] help requested with cygwin & ssh-add

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nfbcs at pcdesk.net
Thu Mar 19 18:26:29 UTC 2015

The problem you're having I think is that you're not importing the
necessary environment variables. ssh-agent creates sockets and such.
ssh-add uses environment variables in order to know where to find those.
You have a couple of options to fix this. First, before we do anything
else, try starting ssh-agent using this command instead of simply using
ssh-agent by itself.

eval `ssh-agent -s`

Then use ssh-add and see if the key can be added. If it can, that was
your issue. You will need to either run ssh-agent in this way from now
on, or else make arrangements to load the necessary variables in
multiple shells. I personally have a bit of code in my .profile which
will load the necessary data; I can help you set that up if you like.
Try the commands I gave previously first though, so we can make sure
things are set up right.
Joe