[nfbcs] jGRASP Editor Plus Tips on How to get to know program accessibility/work arounds when you are new to programming

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Fri Mar 20 02:31:43 UTC 2015

Hi Cindy,

I have never used jGRASP, but I have used eclipse. If you do decide to go with eclipse, it's worth knowing that it uses a lot of memory and if you use it with jaws, you should have probably at least 4 gb of ram to stop it from freezing. When I used it for a class, I only had 2 gb of ram and it was terribly slow. However, it works find with my 8 gb computer. However, with the sluggish nature of eclipse and all of the key commands I had to memorize to use it, I had a really tough time with the object oriented java course for which I was using eclipse. I attribute this difficulty to accessibility because I was able to learn the programming concepts much better latter when I learned more about compiling code in the terminal. I was then able to just use notepad and the terminal, which cut down on a lot of the overhead and allowed me to focus on programming. However, things like jGRASP and eclipse are very useful in that they provide debuggers, good package management (at least for eclipse), and easy access to methods of objects and so on.

I like the edsharp editor, which is developed specifically for blind users. It has cool features like speaking the indentation level of the lines. However, you can configure jaws to do this for any document. Edsharp has some compilation capabilities, but I have only used it for python and LaTeX. If you are interest, here is a link:
http://empowermentzone.com/EdSharp.htm

Thanks,

Kevin